Monday, April 13, 2015

April Member of the Month

April Member of the Month
Kathleen Melton

Our First Member Renewal! 


BWI: Okay, so I'm still working on my coffee here What are you currently doing this lovely morning?
Kathleen: Coffee here too. A morning must

BWI: Indeed
So tell us a bit about the little person/People that inhabit your home with you
Kathleen:My husband and I have a 15 month old son, Eden. He's our first child and the absolute light of our eyes. He's very curious, happy, friendly, and loves people.


BWI: Very sweet! More to come (potentially at some point) or Eden the one and only?
Katleen: Definitely more to come But for right now, we have our hands full with Eden

BWI: hahaha 15 months, yes, I completely understand So tell us what got you into babywearing? How did you discover it?
Kathleen: I kind of always grew up around babywearing. My mom wore us in slings and snuglis (wish I had pictures!) and my sister introduced me to the Moby wrap when her daughter was born. I had a Moby with my son when he was a newborn, and began researching woven wraps shortly after. I was a little intimidated and so overwhelmed with my options that it took me a few months before I made a decision, but once I bought my first woven wrap, I've never looked back.

BWI: In what ways do you think the discovery of Babywearing has either changed or helped your parenting journey?
Kathleen: I cannot imagine not having babywearing as part of our lives! In the beginning, my son was a very fussy and "colicky" and was only ever happy if he was being held. Babywearing allowed me to make dinner, go grocery shopping, or get housework done. Now that's he's older and walking, it helps me when he's grabby and getting into everything, and sometimes it's the only chance he gets to nap!
It also helps that I don't have to lug a huge, heavy stroller around!

BWI: I completely understand all of that! You mentioned a woven wrap, Is that your preferred carrier?
Kathleen: Yes, wovens are my favorite. I also have a Tula, which I like and we use for quick or short trips. And my husband likes to use the Tula
Although he apparently doesn't mind wrapping either! 

BWI: What do you think of this "Tula in the Wild" craze? Has anyone TITW'd you?
Kathleen: Haha no, no one has TITW'd me yet! I'm not quite sure I'm brave enough to do it to someone yet, but my husband always jokes about it!

BWI: haha So what about the woven wrap makes it your favorite?
Kathleen: So versatile! There are so many carry options, good for squishes up to toddlers (and beyond!) A good, tight carry feels so secure and weightless, and Eden loves it! And a great wrap job is just so beautiful


BWI: Do you feel like your family and friends support your babywearing choice?
Kathleen: Oh yes. My husband and sisters don't understand why anyone would "need"
more than one wrap. Haha but they definitely support babywearing.

BWI: hahaha yes common whoa of the babywearer Any funny babywearing stories you'd like to share?
Kathleen: There was this one time I ran into a coworker at the store and we stood there and chatted for about 20 minutes. Apparently she hadn't noticed Eden sleeping on my back because when I turned to leave she said "whoa! You have a baby on you!"

BWI: haha that's funny! We always like to have a little bit of brag time on our little ones. Whats your favorite thing your little one is up to these days?
Kathleen: He is loving stacking blocks and playing catch. He gets so proud of himself and it's just too cute

BWI: That's such a sweet age. I love watching them learn and explore. You're our first official Renewing Member with BWI of Knox! Which we are very excited about. Tell us about why you decided to join us again for another year and a little about your experience with BWI Knox in the last year
Kathleen: I've had a great experience over the last year! It's been really fun to watch the group grow from so few to so many! I've enjoyed checking out carriers from the lending library and I love going to mom's night out

BWI: Well we are very glad to have you and glad to have you back! If someone was considering joining but not decided, what would you tell them after being a member for awhile now?
Kathleen: I think it's great that the meetings are open to everyone, and there are always helpful tips and advice. But the lending library is an invaluable resource! Especially as the library grows! Wraps and carriers can get pretty expensive, especially if you're not sure it's love for a certain carrier. The library gives you the chance to try numerous things, at a very budget friendly cost.

BWI: Love it, we may need to put you in a volunteer marketing position 
Kathleen: I do want to reply to the people that talk about how babywearing will "spoil" or say "your baby will never walk!" Eden is so very independent and he definitely walks! Babies are meant to be held close. They need warmth and comfort and there is NOTHING wrong with that! They won't want to be held forever, so enjoy the baby snuggles
"Spoil" your baby
BWI: I love that closing advice!

Showing us how happy her little Eden is to be worn! 


No comments:

Post a Comment